What account code and/or category code should I use when purchasing equipment?

EQPMT and 614000 are used to record assets that cost $5,000 or more, with a useful life of one year or greater. See the Equipment page from Financial Operations for a list of all the account codes and purchasing category codes.  A quick reference sheet can be found here.

Why is there equipment not on my inventory report even though the item’s value is over $5,000?

If the equipment is new, it may not have been processed or added to the M-Pathways Asset
Management system yet. Generally, it takes one to two months after an item has been paid for it to appear.  If the equipment is not new, it may have been purchased using a non-equipment account code.  If the item does meet the equipment definition, contact Property Control with as much detail as possible (purchase order number, project/grant) so they can determine why the item is not in the inventory.

Why is there an item in my inventory valued under $5,000?

This cost for this item was probably shared between several departments, and if so, will show
up on several inventories. The listed value is what your department paid on this particular item.  If the tag number begins with a 3, the equipment in question is sponsor funded and, per the contract, must be tagged and tracked.

Why are there are multiple lines on my inventory report with the same information for the same item?

This cost for this item was probably shared between several project/grants, and if so, will show
up several times in your equipment inventory report. To get the correct value of the equipment,
add these lines together.

Our unit has items that I know was sent to Property Disposition. Why are they still appearing on my equipment inventory report?

Financial Operations removes equipment from the M-Pathways Asset Management system
based on the information provided on the Declaration of Surplus (DOS) form and your
department’s equipment inventory. If the tag number or serial number was not provided on the
DOS form, the equipment cannot be removed from your inventory. Financial Operations may
also be experiencing a backlog of requests and will require additional time to remove the
Please see the page Declaring and Sending Surplus from Property Disposition for more
information. If the equipment is still in your inventory after the departmental review, notify
Property Control.

Where should I send the corrected equipment inventory report, and who should I contact if I have questions?

Please send your corrected equipment inventory report to property.control@umich.edu. You can also send any questions to this address.

Can I have access to the M-Pathways Asset Management system to make the corrections myself?

Yes. You will need to request access from your department OARS contact. Once granted access, you can update all nonfinancial information about equipment within your department (equipment location, custodian, serial numbers, photographs, etc).

Is it really important that I verify the rooms in which my equipment is located?

Absolutely. The depreciation on the equipment is expensed to the room and the activity identified for that room. If equipment is not identified to the appropriate room, the U‐M Office of Cost Reimbursement will not have accurate information for calculation and negotiation of the federal Facilities and Administrative Rate Proposal (often called the “Indirect Cost Proposal”). Cost Reimbursement can be contacted by phone at (734) 647‐3843 or by email at cost.reimbursement.office@umich.edu.

It is especially important to assign valid and accurate room numbers to scientific equipment since it tends to be more expensive and has a shorter lifespan than other types of equipment. Annual depreciation for these items tends to be higher than for general‐purpose equipment. Because these items tend to be housed in research areas, it is important to U‐M to have the proper room number recorded in the inventory.

What are the numbers starting with 7 & 8 and the letters S & U mean and why can't I find them on the equipment?

When an item is not feasible to tag due to size, accessibility, or some other factor (radioactive, submerged, etc.) it is assigned a Non Tag Number. Identifiers starting with “7 or U” are assigned for U-M funded equipment that cannot be tagged. Identifiers starting with “8 or S” are assigned to sponsor funded equipment that cannot be tagged. You are still required to track these items as you would any other item in your inventory.

Where can I find a list of building names so I can update the building number in my inventory?

Please see the page Space Analysis - Reports from Space Analysis to download a listing of active buildings and structures.

What about fully depreciated equipment, do I still need to account for that?

Yes. If the equipment is still being used or is on display, you are required to keep track of it. If it
is no longer being used, download and fill out the Declaration of Surplus form, and send it to
Property Disposition. Instructions for completing the form can be found on the first tab.

How do I handle Affiliate-Related Assets?

See the section “How to Handle Affiliate-Related Assets” on the Equipment page from Financial Operations for an explanation of how to handle assets owned by affiliates of U-M as well as assets owned by U-M but housed in affiliate space.

What are the types of Property Control tags, and what do they look like?

Refer to the document Property Control Tag Types.