General Questions

Who do I contact for an appraisal?

Furniture, machinery, lab equipment, medical equipment:

Steve Sinelli
Email: ssinelli@umich.edu or Property Disposition
Phone: (734) 763-7303 or (734) 764-2470

Computers, laptops, tablets, and accessories such as printers and monitors:

Property Disposition
Email: property.disposition@umich.edu
Phone: (734) 764-2470

back to top

Can the university donate any assets?

The university is required to sell all disposable assets. Items that remain U-M property can be transferred between departments.

back to top

Will Property Disposition take my personal property?

No. Property Disposition is only able to accept surplus property from University of Michigan departments.

back to top

Sending Surplus

Does Property Disposition pick up surplus property?

No. After the delivery date is established with Property Disposition, you need to arrange to bring the surplus to our warehouse. You may bring it yourself, call University Moving and Trucking, or select one of the university’s strategic moving and storage suppliers.

See "Sending Surplus" instructions.

back to top

Purchasing Surplus

What is the process if I want to purchase surplus property for personal use from my department?

You’ll need to fill out a Declaration of Surplus Form and email it to Property Disposition.  Property Disposition will price the item(s) and return the Declaration of Surplus Form with the estimated value(s).  You should then bring payment, along with the Declaration of Surplus Form, to Property Disposition for the appraised amount plus six percent (6%) state of Michigan sales tax.  You’ll then get a receipt you can show to your department supervisor before taking the item(s) home.

back to top

Can a U-M PCard be used for purchases?

No. Only a shortcode can be used for departmental purchases.

back to top

What types of payment do you accept?

Payments can be made with cash, personal checks from local banks, or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover).  Credit cards are accepted in person only.

Checks should be made payable to the University of Michigan.

back to top

Will I pay sales tax with my purchase?

Yes, six percent (6%) state of Michigan sales tax is added to your purchase price.

back to top

How do I make a purchase for my business with my tax exempt number?

You will need to provide a copy of your tax exempt certificate at the time of purchase and sign our tax exempt book for each purchase.

back to top

What is the return policy?

All sales are AS IS and final. No refunds or exchanges are allowed.

back to top

Are there discounts for quantity purchases?

Quantity discounts are available. Please ask the sales manager at the time of purchase.

back to top

Can you hold my items after I purchase them?

We can only hold items for U-M departments until pickup arrangements are made. All items purchased by the public (non-U-M departments) must be taken at the time of purchase.

back to top