Effective September 1, 2023, the Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) contract with National Car Rental and Enterprise Rent-A-Car changed.
Select features and updates from the new BTAA contract with the car rental companies are noted below:
- Negotiated rates, including international rates in over 90 countries
- Insurance coverage—damage waiver and liability protection
- Can be used by U-M employees, contractors/consultants, and students 18+ (with restrictions) while on university business
- University-sponsored student clubs and organizations may use the contract for club use if U-M is paying or reimbursing for the rental
- Renters and authorized drivers between the ages of 18 to 20 will be assessed an additional $15 per day charge on top of the contracted rental rate
- The young driver charge will be waived for renters between the ages of 21-24
- Negotiated rates are no longer available through the BTAA contract (Procurement Services is evaluating another potential discount program for personal car rental with National/Enterprise.)
Important: When renting a vehicle for business use, it’s strongly recommended that employees use the National/Enterprise contract over other rental companies to ensure that appropriate insurance is included.