Property Disposition

Property Disposition is responsible for the disposal of all university property designated as surplus by U-M units, per SPG 520.01 on Acquisition, Use and Disposition of Property. When property is no longer needed, units declare it as surplus. Property Disposition will dispose of the property based on a determination of its highest and best use, then return 90 percent of any proceeds to the unit. Examples include computers, equipment, and furniture. Our mission is to sell, recycle, or dispose of surplus equipment to the best advantage of the University of Michigan.

Declaring Surplus

To declare surplus, please complete one of the following electronic Declaration of Surplus forms (eDOS). 

Link to eDOS Form

Link to Faculty Transfer Form

Link to Trade-In Form

For instructions on completing our new Declaration of surplus eForms, please refer to the Knowledge Base (KB) articles below:


Faculty Transfer


Surplus pickup is available for the Ann Arbor, Flint, Dearborn, and Michigan Medicine campuses. Property Disposition will put in a work order on your behalf and send the movers on the given date to pick up your surplus items. If your unit wishes to bring the items, you will still need to schedule a date first.

NOTE: Hospital buildings, including University Hospital, CW Mott, Taubman Center, Med Inn, Towsley, Cancer Center (floors B2, B1, 1 and parts of 2), Medical Professional Building, and Cardiovascular Center should make arrangements for pickup with Hospital Maintenance (936-5054) in addition to completing the eDOS form.  

NOTE: Medical School buildings, including MSRB I, II, III, Med Sci I, II, Cancer Center, MBNI, BSRB, NCRC, and Kellogg/Brehm should contact Research Services ( prior to completing the eDOS form.

Contact Us

Property Disposition

Phone: (734) 764-2470
Fax: (734) 763-2006


3241 Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2155


US-23 to Plymouth Road (exit 41), head west
Turn left (south) on Green Road
Turn right (west) on Baxter Road to warehouse address at 3241 Baxter Road


Departments/units are welcome to shop on Dispo Direct—our online store—for shortcode purchases. 

Dispo Direct Online Store

Our website is You can create an account using the University Login option.

Once you create your account, you will be given the option to pay with your shortcode at check out (you must be logged in in order to use your shortcode).

Dispo Direct Online Store


What is the process if I want to purchase an eBid lot for my unit from Dispo Direct?

Email at least 24 hours prior to the bid end time with the SKU # letting us know you are interested in purchasing the eBid lot with a shortcode. Bid lots will be priced at the "Current Bid" amount at the time we receive your email. If the bid lot has less than 24 hours remaining, your unit will need to place a bid. Bid lots will be awarded to the highest bidder.

Can a U-M PCard be used for purchases?

No. Only a shortcode can be used for department/unit purchases.

What is the process if I want to purchase surplus property for personal use from my unit?

Send an email to requesting a price quote. Please include information such as: Make, Model, Serial Number, Condition, and photos. Property Disposition will price the item(s) and email you back with the price quote(s). If the purchaser decides to proceed, an eDOS will need to be submitted by the purchaser's unit supervisor or another delegate who is authorized to declare items surplus. The eDOS title should include the following: Staff purchase, Unique Name, and First and Last name of the purchaser. After the eDOS is submitted, please reply back to the email chain to inform us of the TDX ticket number. We will send a PayPal link for the appraised amount plus six percent (6%) state of Michigan sales tax. You’ll then get a receipt you can show to your unit supervisor before taking the item(s) home.

Will Property Disposition take my personal property?

No. Property Disposition is only able to accept surplus property from U-M units.

See all Property Disposition FAQ